If you’re looking for durable and elegant fencing in Calgary, you should consider installing ornamental fencing. Not to be confused with the wrought iron fences from the 12th century, ornamental fences are made from steel — a combination of iron and carbon — and are thus stronger, and more durable. In addition to providing unparalleled security, ornamental fencing comes in many different styles that can instantly enhance the appearance of any Calgary home or business.
Why select ornamental fencing?
If you’ve poked around online or spoken to a fencing company, you probably know about wood, PVC, and chain-link fencing. In nearly every area, ornamental fencing outperforms these materials — it’s visually appealing, never rots, and protects your property.
Everyone wants a fence that lasts. Ornamental fencing doesn’t just look great – it lasts great, too! Because of the robust materials used in ornamental fencing, it is probably the strongest, toughest, and most durable of all fence types. These fences are rated for the toughest weather conditions and are not subject to rot, warping, fading, or any of the other common problems that fences suffer from in Calgary. Ornamental fences are warrantied for 25+ years. You can be sure that, once you install your fence with Relia-Built, you won’t need to worry about replacing it for the next few decades.
Some fence types need love and attention to maintain their condition, prevent problems, and keep on protecting your property – but not ornamental fencing. Once installed, it’s practically “set and forget.” You’ll hardly need to lift a finger to keep it in top condition. This makes it perfect for Calgary homeowners who not only want the classic style of ornamental fencing but like to spend their weekends doing something other than weather-proofing their fence or preventing rot. An occasional pressure-clean and clearing of vegetation should keep your fence looking great.
Few fence types can compare with ornamental fencing for security. Not only does it use some of the most robust fencing materials around – it is notoriously difficult to climb. You might also want to enhance the security of your home or business with a custom-designed and manufactured fence. You could make it taller or even more difficult to scale with the help of our fence-design expertise to ward off potential intruders. These practical benefits combine with the aesthetic attractions and elegance of ornamental fencing to make it the perfect choice for many residential or commercial fencing projects.
Given the above benefits of ornamental fencing, it’s hard to see how anyone could consider any other fencing material for their Calgary home or business.
What are the cons of ornamental fencing?
It looks great, last forever, and provides security for your family or business. So, what’s the catch with ornamental fencing? You could say that ornamental fencing costs more, at least up front. However, the long-term savings you reap from the improved durability and low-maintenance will more than make up for the initial cost.
Truthfully, the only disadvantage of using ornamental fencing is limited privacy since it features large gaps between the posts. However, by strategically combining landscaping features with the right ornamental fencing style, you can easily create a privacy screen that is both appealing and secluded. Alternatively, you can use a discreet mesh behind the posts to provide added privacy.
How is ornamental fencing installed?
When you hire the right team, having your Calgary ornamental fencing installed is a breeze. Here are basic steps:
- Measure, line, stake — First, your fencing professionals will establish the angles and dimensions of the job by measuring with line and driving stakes to mark corners.
- Dig post holes — Next, 6-inch by 2-foot holes are dug where the post are to be placed. The post holes are filled with gravel for drainage.
- Set posts — Then the posts are leveled and set in wet cement. The concrete will need to sit for several days to ensure it is properly cured.
- Install panels — Ornamental fencing panels are then screwed together between the posts.
- Hang gates — Your gates will be attached using hinges and latches. However, you may need to wait for the fencing to settle before installing any gates.
Now that you understand the process of installing ornamental fences, it’s time to take a look at the various styles available.
What ornament fencing styles are available in Calgary?
When it comes to ornamental fencing styles, you have quite a few options. Before settling on any one style, however, you should think about what you want your fence to accomplish. Is it for security? A barrier for a pool or outdoor area? Are you looking to add decorative sophistication to your home or office?
Depending on your fencing needs, these are the different ornamental styles typically available in Calgary:
- Classic — Many Calgary property owners prefer the Classic ornamental fencing option. Not only does it look sleek, but the end of every slat also comes to a sharp point. This sends a clear message to fence-jumpers and trespassers that your property is off-limits.
- Majestic — Another option is majestic ornamental fencing. This style has no spikes on top. Instead, it has a horizontal rail that extends between each post. The majestic style provides a refined look that can add elegance to any property.
- Genesis — Genesis-style ornamental fences feature extended flat/square topped pickets that are perfect for adding finials.
- Warrior — If you’re looking for an open picket style with pressed spears on top, the Warrior style is your best it. Further, the picket tops alternate height which gives distinct appearance.
- Crescent — Crescent ornamental fencing also features pressed spear pickets, but they are all equal height and have arched steel loops for a softer look.
And remember, most of these styles can be accented with finials, rails, rings, scrolls and other adornments of your choosing.
Experienced fencing professionals in Calgary
At Relia-Built, we are passionate about providing our customers with timely, high-quality fencing installations that not only look great but are affordable. If you’re thinking about installing an ornamental fence in Calgary for your business or home, give us a call (403) 300-1195 or contact us online to schedule a free estimate!